Wednesdays (in term time), 1.15-1.45pm
Admission free, retiring collection
Following the enormously successful and widely acclaimed restoration of the Temple’s magnificent 4-manual Harrison & Harrison organ, the regular lunchtime recital series will be from the Temple’s own organists as well as visiting established performers such as Colin Walsh and some of the finest young organists from cathedrals up and down the country. Please do join us – all are welcome!
The Temple organ was originally built for Glentanar House in Scotland in 1923. It was very generously given to the Temple Church by Lord Glentanar in 1950 to replace the organ destroyed during the war. Its installation at the Temple was completed in something of a rush, but the instrument still lasted another 60 years before earning a long overdue major clean and overhaul. All of the components and the 3454 pipes have been painstakingly cleaned and restored. Four new stops comprising 354 pipes, made in the spirit and style of the 1920s, have been added to the Great Organ, bringing the total number of pipes to 3808.
The final process of the restoration work was a major re-voicing of the entire instrument by Harrison’s Head Voicer, Andy Scott, so that the organ now speaks with greater clarity and subtlety into the acoustic of the church, a much more favourable one than that of its original home in the ballroom at Glen Tanar House. The breath-taking result is an instrument which retains its distinctive 1923 Harrison & Harrison Durham accent, but now works with the acoustic rather than against it to produce music from the softest of pianissimos to the most thrilling of tuttis.